Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday #112

 
Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking The Spine and is where we can talk about books we are looking forward to being released.
 
 
Flight of the Sparrow: A Novel of Early America
 
Summary:
 
She suspects that she has changed too much to ever fit easily into English society again. The wilderness has now become her home. She can interpret the cries of birds. She has seen vistas that have stolen away her breath. She has learned to live in a new, free way.... 

Massachusetts Bay Colony, 1676. Even before Mary Rowlandson is captured by Indians on a winter day of violence and terror, she sometimes found herself in conflict with her rigid Puritan community. Now, her home destroyed, her children lost to her, she has been sold into the service of a powerful woman tribal leader, made a pawn in the on-going bloody struggle between English settlers and native people. Battling cold, hunger, and exhaustion, Mary witnesses harrowing brutality but also unexpected kindness. To her confused surprise, she is drawn to her captors’ open and straightforward way of life, a feeling further complicated by her attraction to a generous, protective English-speaking native known as James Printer. All her life, Mary has been taught to fear God, submit to her husband, and abhor Indians. Now, having lived on the other side of the forest, she begins to question the edicts that have guided her, torn between the life she knew and the wisdom the natives have shown her.

Based on the compelling true narrative of Mary Rowlandson, Flight of the Sparrow is an evocative tale that transports the reader to a little-known time in early America and explores the real meaning of freedom, faith, and acceptance.
Summary & Cover taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 368 pages (Paperback)
Expected Publication Date: July 1st 2014 by NAL Trade
 
Why I'm Waiting:
 
I love novels set in the earlier days of the US and Canada and since this one is set pre 1700s ad based on a real person makes me totally excited for it to be published.
 
Winter Siege
 
Summary:
 
It's 12 Century England and the civil war between Queen Matilda and King Stephen is raging. But life in the fens carries on as usual. Until the mercenaries ride through. And a small red-haired girl named Em is snatched and carried off. After the soldiers have finished with her they leave her for dead. But fenland girls are not easy to kill. Although she has lost all memory of her past life including her name, Em survives and teams up with Gwyl a Breton archer who has almost completely lost faith in humanity. Together Gwyl and his new protege--now crop-headed and disguised as a boy--travel through the countryside giving archery exhibitions. But there is one man who hasn't forgotten the little red-haired girl. He has some unfinished business with her and he is determined to finish it. And one freezing winter in a castle completely besieged, he might well get his chance...

Winter Siege is a stand-alone historical novel started by the late Diana Norman under her pseudonym Ariana Franklin. It has been completed by her daughter Samantha Norman.
Summary & Cover taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 432 pages (Hardcover)
Expected Publication Date: October 9th 2014 by Bantam
 
Why I'm Waiting:
 
I haven't yet started Ariana Franklin's Mistress of the Art of Death series which she wrote prior to her death in 2011 but I am planning to start it this month and I'm excited to see how this one turns out. I think it's wonderful that her daughter went on to finish it for her after she passed.
 
What are you waiting on?
 
if-youre-here-blinkie 
 
 

15 comments:

  1. Sounds great. I love a good historical. Have you read Cate of the Lost Colony?

    Check out my WOW post this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet Brittany, but I have it reserved at the library, I've heard its amazing.

      Delete
  2. Pretty, pretty cover. I hope you enjoy them! :)
    Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picks Kimberly! They sound like very heavy reading in the emotional scale and I don't know if my heart can take it but I hope you enjoy reading them just the same. They sound really good, especially the first book. :)

    Here's my WoW pick :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Camille, Sometimes I just need a good gut wrenching read ya know?

      Delete
  4. Hmm, both sounds like great reads. I've had the Mistress of the Art of Death series on my reading list for a while now myself. I had no idea she had passed.

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was starting to feel as though I was the only one who hadn't read that series yet, I hope you enjoy it when you get to it Bob.

      Delete
  5. Both of these look really good! I love the cover of Flight of the Sparrow, but I'm more drawn to English history than American, for some reason. I didn't know Ariana Franklin had died, either. I've been meaning to read her Mistress of the Art of Death books, too, but I never seem to get around to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. English, history usually comes before US history but I thought this was a nice break from books set in the US before the civil war -nothing against those books but I like to learn about earlier periods too.

      Delete
  6. Flight of the Sparrow isn't the type of book I normally read, but that synopsis has me VERY intrigued. And I'm always fascinated by fiction that's based off of a true story!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm waiting for Book of Life by Deborah Harkness and Nora Roberts' Blood Magick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flight of the sparrow has a beautiful cover

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!