Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Off the Clock (First Responders #1) by Donna Alward

 
 
Off the Clock (First Responders, #1)
 
Summary:
 
The last thing she needs is a hero

Paramedic Gabe Brennan s job is saving lives. When he witnesses an accident and rushes in to help, the victim brings back memories of the night that marked him forever. The night he almost couldn t save his best friend, Brandon. Brandon s sister is in the car. She s pregnant. And his longing for her is just as sharp as ever.

Carly's never been so glad to see a friendly face. Gabe s gallant rescue and the gentle kiss he bestows upon her at the hospital resurrect feelings she buried long ago. Having just closed the book on a crumbling marriage, she s not too keen on opening herself up to hurt again. Not even for the one man who s always seemed to be there when she needed him most.

Gabe knows he shouldn t be falling for Carly, especially since she insists she s off the market. But the chemistry still simmering between them after all these years is no accident. Now all he has to do is convince her she belongs in the empty space he s always held open for her. The one next to his heart

Caution: Contents and paramedic hero may be too hot to handle!
Summary & Cover taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 98 pages (E-book)
Available Formats: E-book
Publication Date: October 4th 2011 by Samhain Publishing
 
 
Well if you've been following the blog for awhile now you'll know I love romances that offer second chances and first responders, both of which were at the core of this little contemporary romance novella.
 
I've been curious about Donna Alward's books for a good couple years and when I saw that the first three books in her First Responders series were available to download via my library's Overdrive e-book selection I got them all...and proceeded to binge read them the other night.
 
Off the Clock was a good introduction to the author's writing style and not a bad start to a good little series that takes place in a small town and it certainly does start off with a bang. Poor Carly is 8 months pregnant with her first child and comes so close to not only losing her life but that of her unborn son after a stupid drunk kid cuts her off while driving, luckily for her Gabe, her brother's ex-best friend is there to rescue her for the second time in her life.
 
While I sometimes think that books that have characters meeting or in this case getting reacquainted in extreme situations can be cheesy I liked how it was done in Off the Clock. Gabe was sweet but he was battling his guilt over the falling out that led to him not being friends with Carly's brother anymore and Carly was busy dealing with being a single mom since her ass of a husband walked out when she found out she was pregnant so both had their issues that they needed to over come.
 
I liked how the romance built up between Carly and Gabe, even though the e-book was only 98 pages long there was no insta-love. Their love developed over the course of a couple of months and you could tell that they were committed to each other. They felt like a very real couple because they had awkwardness between them at times just like real couples do, and I liked how they were excepting of each others faults.
 
Overall, I thought Off the Clock was a quick cute read. I thought that since it was published by Samhain that it would be steamy when it got to the naughty bits but was pleasantly surprised that the author had it be more sensual and less graphic. The only faults I had with the book were that I think it could have benefited from an extra 10 pages because while the writing was excellent certain parts felt a little light. I can't wait to read more by this talented, Canadian romance author.
 
I would recommend this to all of Donna Alward's fans out there that aren't familiar with this series as well as readers who have yet to give her a try. If you enjoy contemporary romances and what reads like a genuine love story I highly recommend giving this a go. It'll make a perfect afternoon read.
 
 
Liked It!
★★★ 1/2
 
To "Like" Donna  on Facebook CLICK HERE
To "Follow" Donna  on Twitter CLICK HERE
To "Follow" Donna  on Pinterest CLICK HERE
To become a "Fan" of Donna on Goodreads CLICK HERE
To visit Donna's Website CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Kobo CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Amazon CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via AmazonUK CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Barnes & Noble CLICK HERE
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12209165-off-the-clock
 
if-youre-here-blinkie

 

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like you enjoyed it. Good review I enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds cute and I love small-town settings. Yep, a hot first-responder makes my heart skip. Fantastic review Kim, added to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimberly! Hope you like it when you get around to it.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read anything by this author, but this book sounds cute. I worry about my introduction to an author's work being such a short book, though. But maybe it would be good since it was done well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually have the same problem going into a new to me authors work with a short read but this one surprised me. I hope you give it a go :)

      Delete
  4. pop over here aaa replica bags helpful resources Fendi Dolabuy you could try this out Ysl replica

    ReplyDelete
  5. see this site w9n55e2p06 replica louis vuitton bags 7a replica bags wholesale r8j56u7q89 replica bags ru replica hermes o9e03w6b41 replica bags delhi replica bags hermes find out u9f88i3y81 replica bags wholesale india

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!