Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Monday, March 31, 2014

In The Line Of Duty (First Responders #2) by Donna Alward



In The Line Of Duty (First Responders #2)

Summary:

When it comes to love, sometimes a girl has to go above and beyond.

First Responders, Book 2

Jake Symonds has been a thorn in Constable Kendra Givens’s side since the night they first met, when she’d had to arrest him. In his boxer shorts. The drunken comments he made that night are worsened by the truth she’ll never admit. For a fleeting moment, they’d connected.

Two years later, when she’s called to investigate a break-and-enter at his pub, the last thing she expects is for the now-competent businessman to cook her breakfast. But she’s no fool. The former bad boy still lurks beneath the charm. And his business involves the one thing that she’s hated since it ruined her childhood. Alcohol.

As far as he’s concerned, Jake has changed, but Kendra still has a stick up her butt. Yet he can’t help but like her sass and quick wit. One well-aimed baseball at the carnival dunk tank later and he’s got a date.

Their spark of attraction quickly flares out of control, but their emotional baggage is stacked too high to risk anything deeper—until one tragic night strips the barriers from their deepest fears. And Kendra realizes the greatest danger Jake presents is to her heart.

Product Warnings:
Readers should be aware that any sexy comments made to police officers will be used against them in the hottest way possible.
Summary & Cover taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 125 pages (E-book)
Available Formats: E-book
Publication Date: August 28th 2012 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

Yesterday I reviewed the first book in the series Off the Clock and I thought it was only appropriate to review the books on consecutive days as well so look out for my review of the third book in the series Into the Fire tomorrow.

In In the Line of Duty we read Kendra and Jake's story, I had a feeling even before I read the summary before it that it would focus on Kendra whom we met briefly in Off the Clock. Going into this one I had reasonably high hopes because I enjoyed the first book so much and it isn't that this one was enjoyable it just wasn't as enjoyable as the last one.

My biggest issue with the book was Kendra. I just didn't like her at all. I didn't like how she looked down her nose at Jake just because he owned a bar and she hauled him off to the drunk tank when he was home on leave from the war two years before. She was just so snobby about the whole thing that I wanted to smack her for about 75% of the story. I understand that her mother was a drunk who left her hanging as a kid but that doesn't give her the right to look down on people who stop by a bar for a quick pint. She just seemed so caught up in her own drama that I just didn't like her.

Jake on the other hand was a sweetheart and I adored him from the beginning. He had his issues when it came to dealing with the things he had to do and see in Afghanistan but he was working through them unlike Kendra. Plus I think Kendra was a bit whiny because war hero trumps mommy had a drinking problem. I know that's harsh but I just wish she'd been a little more understanding of Jake.

As much as  I didn't care for Kendra on her own she was much more likable when she was with Jake, he mellowed her out quite a bit by the end of the book and I did like how in the end the chemistry was really there and they did grow as a couple enough that I ended up liking the story in the end more than I thought I would.

I would recommend this to fans of the first book in the series and while it is a series you could get away with reading it as a standalone because while characters from book one are referenced they only have bit parts but it was nice to see them again for me. If you're looking for a quick romantic read I really recommend not only book one but this one as well.

Liked It!
★★★
 
To "Like" Donna  on Facebook CLICK HERE
To "Follow" Donna  on Twitter CLICK HERE
To "Follow" Donna  on Pinterest CLICK HERE
To become a "Fan" of Donna on Goodreads CLICK HERE
To visit Donna's Website CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Kobo CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Amazon CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via AmazonUK CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Barnes & Noble CLICK HERE
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15719662-in-the-line-of-duty
 
if-youre-here-blinkie

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes I think I'd like him quite a bit. And from the sounds of it probably would be right there with ya wanting to shake her. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift.

    Bossgaming.net
    Information
    Click Here

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!