Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Saturday, March 22, 2014

I Love Him to Pieces (My Boyfriend Is a Monster #1) by Evonne Tsang & Janina Gorrissen




I Love Him to Pieces (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #1)

Summary:

Can love survive the zombie apocalypse? Maybe Dicey's first chance at a real relationship was dead from the start. She's the star of her high school baseball team, and Jack's the star of the science program. Her idea of a study session includes sleeping in the sun, and his idea of a good game involves dungeons and dice. But opposites start attracting when they're assigned to be partners in a class project. Now an outbreak of a weird infection--it eats your brains and leaves you hungry for more--might not mean just the end of their first date. It might mean the end of everything. Will their relationship fall apart faster than zombies in the Florida sun, or can Dicey and Jack beat the odds and find a happy ending?
Summary & Cover taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 123 pages (Paperback)
Source: Toronto Public Library
Available Formats: Print/E-book
Publication Date: 2011 by Graphic Universe (first published August 1st 2010)            


I picked I Love Him to Pieces on a whim when I was making the rounds at the library a couple weeks back and totally forgot about reading it until the Ides of March Read-A-Thon came around. I was a little hesitant in picking this one up since I haven't had the best experience with teen graphic novels like these but this one turned out to be a really pleasant surprise.

I like Dicey and Jack a lot. Dicey was a really fun character. She was the lone girl on her high school baseball team, but she was also really smart and like a lot of teen romances this one came about because she was paired with Jack who is a total nerd for a school project. The two of them were really cute together and I like how they both took their time with coming to the conclusion that they liked each other and I enjoyed that they started off as friends before deciding to date

The zombie aspect of this short, but well written graphic novel to me was well done but a little unoriginal. It had the typical zombie apocalypse due to a medical problem but still I liked the way it was handled in I Love Him to Pieces because it wasn't all about zombies. It was about two kids who liked each other getting stuck in the middle of ground zero and having to survive until help arrives in the form of Jack's parents who are both doctors with the CDC who are the main doctors on the case looking for a cure for the disease.

Overall, I thought Janina Gorrissen's artwork was great, and well suited not only for the audience's age group, but for making the scenes match perfectly with the written element of the book which was equally as good thanks to Evonne Tsang. I thought this was a refreshing read, that wasn't too romance or too zombie focused but a light mix of both and I liked how FUN this was to read because the characters were just so cute and likable together and I can tell you Dicey definitely wears the pants in this budding relationship.

My only two issues with the novel  were that I wish it was longer than the 123 pages. To me an extra 10 to 15 pages would have been good because I would have loved to see how Dicey and Jack got on afterwards even though the author offered an epilogue, I would have loved a bit more. Second, I would have liked more of a character background for our couple because I found that lacking a touch.

I would recommend I Love Him to Pieces to fans of graphic novels, who are looking for a quick and easy read in the teen graphic novel genre. This one was very cohesive and didn't fall apart in terms of the illustrations matching the story line and it was above all else. Fun. I can't wait to read more by this duo.

Really Enjoyed It!
★ ★ ★ ★
 
 
To purchase the book via Chapters Indigo CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Kobo CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Amazon CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via AmazonUK CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Barnes & Noble
CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via The Book Depository CLICK HERE
 

4 comments:

  1. Aw yay for nice surprises like that. Love when one I'm kinda unsure about turns out to be a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I dig the cover. You should try the xmen comics. I'm thinking of getting back into it. There's quite a lot of interesting relationships in xmen. Romantic example. Also great stories. You might dig them

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks good, and I like the cover. It is always nice when a book you are unsure of rocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had bad luck with my comic book choices lately. I'll have to check this one out though because it sounds great. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!