Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Monday, July 8, 2013

Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles #1) by Kevin Hearne

Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)

Summary:

The first novel in the original, six-book Iron Druid Chronicles—introducing a cool, new, funny urban fantasy hero

Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old—when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he’s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power—plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish—to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil.

Summary & Cover taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 289 pages (Mass Market Paperback)
Source: Toronto Public Library
Available Formats: Print/E-book/Audio
Publication Date: May 3rd 2011 by Del Rey            

After having had this on my radar for a really long time I finally bit the bullet last month when I saw that my library had a copy of this one sitting on the shelves. I'm trying to read more books by male authors as well as trying some new series out and this one was definitely worth the wait and the read though I am kicking myself for having not started it sooner.

Hounded is the first book in Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series featuring the 2,100 year old Druid Atticus and his Irish wolfhound Oberon with whom he can communicate with telepathically. In the debut we are introduced to the gods and goddesses of old, some Celtic legends and of course witches, werewolves, demons and vampires.

Right away from the first page I loved this book. It had me laughing from the second paragraph and I was instantly hooked on the author's writing style, plot and characterization and the fact that I was so suddenly swept up into the story really surprised me.

In Hounded there really is never a dull moment with Atticus but I figure if you live to be over 2,000 years old you have to keep the excitement up, or things are bound to get boring. Atticus was a really likable character. He's smart, witty, funny and a bit of a ladies man with certain deities. I really didn't think that I'd become so attached to Atticus but I'm glad I did. It's been a while since I've been introduced to such a unique character and I really enjoyed reading about him.

Oberon, the wolfhound for me really sold me on the novel. I mean honestly who can resist a loyal, Irish wolfhound that can speak to his owner in his mind who has a penchant for hunting, French poodles and bangers and mash? I just thought he was the sweetest thing and I couldn't help but want to go out and buy a wolfhound (I've always wanted one).

The other characters, were all well introduced and while a couple of them could have done with some more explaining as to what role they really play I have a feeling that the author is going to be bringing a lot of them back into the story lines of the later books in the series which is fine by me.

The plot was certainly one that surprised me. There was a lot going on throughout the whole story but not too much to overwhelm me. I really appreciated the time that the author used setting up the back story for Atticus and while the book is set in our world there was lots of magic to go around to really classify this as an Urban Fantasy novel. I loved the mystery element to the story as well and I really liked the way the witches all seemed to fit in the story so well and can't wait to see what happens with them in book two.

Overall, I would absolutely call Hounded a completely success. There was magic, plenty of action, killing and mythology that Kevin Hearne definitely hooked me onto his hero Atticus. Plus the fact that he created a character that's a bit of a smart ass and makes me laugh constantly is a pleasant bonus.

I would recommend this book to everyone who has yet to start the Iron Druid series. It's a fantastic series with an addictive story and will have you giggling the whole time you read it while still managing to fit comfortably into the Urban Fantasy genre but at the same time offers something unique and different.



I read this book for the following reading challenges:

 

2013 150+ Reading Challenge

 

Loved It!
★★★★★

To "Like" Kevin on Facebook CLICK HERE
To "Follow" Kevin  on Twitter CLICK HERE
To become a "Fan" of Kevin  on Goodreads  CLICK HERE
To visit Kevin's Website CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Chapters Indigo CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Amazon CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Kobo CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via The Book Depository CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Barnes & Noble CLICK HERE
 
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Yay happy to hear you loved it. I loved this book two. I actually really enjoy the series and need to continue asap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay! Always great when one you've had your eye on for a while turns out to be amazing. I keep spotting this one and thinking about it too. Might check in and see if our library has a copy. The pup sounds awesome :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!