Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Thaw by Bryan Dunn


Thaw
 
Summary:
 
"Thaw is an action-packed, heart-pumping thrill ride that keeps readers on the edge of their seats."—Will Plyler, Mania.com

Arctic bush pilot Harry McNills is minding his own business and dreaming of retiring to the Caribbean—when two scientists from Cryolabs Corporation charter his plane for a scientific expedition. The beautiful young biologist Amy Tyler and her boss, the avaricious Hayden Lockwood, want to explore for freeze-tolerant organisms. Harry gets more than he bargained for when he falls for Amy and discovers an ancient terror entombed in an iceberg. A Navy team is assembled to exhume the remarkable find. But before the job is completed, something goes horribly wrong…and Harry and Amy find themselves trapped in a desperate struggle for survival.
Summary & Photo taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 240 pages
Source: Kindle Freebie
Publication Date: January 19th 2007 by Xlibris Corporation
 
I had Thaw sitting there taking up space on my Kindle for several months before I got to read it back in August. August can you believe I'm only just getting around to writing my review now? Thankfully I was gifted with a superb memoir for books so I'm able to retain a lot of what I've read for a long time.
 
When I did sit down to read Thaw I had no idea what to expect I just wanted to read a story about a creature trapped in the ice thawing out and wreaking havoc on as many people as it possible could. What can I say I absolutely love horror novels like this and often the cheesier they are the better it is for me.
 
Anyways, I went into reading the book with low expectations but was pleasantly surprised. I loved the writing style and the characters even though it can be said that the book is pretty high up there on the cheese factor with the dialogue included in that I still had a lot of fun reading it.
 
The book was an action filled and a times a little spooky. But, mostly it was a fun read that held my interest because believe it or not there is talent required to pen these novels despite there being a lot of "cheese" in it. If a book can entertain me then I am more than willing to give it a fair rating.
 
I liked the way the author created his story line. Henry the Arctic Pilot was the usual rough and tumble character who teams up with Amy a biologist who is way out of his league and there are sexual overtures in the book but those were expected. Plus there was A LOT of killing and I loved it. What can I say with an older brother blood and gore was what I grew up on on so for me that added a lot to the story.
 
While the book may not win any awards for being the greatest piece of literature it was a well written and  entertaining read and my only true complaints about the book was that I wish the book didn't jump back and forth so often from the POV's of Amy and Henry and that there had been a little more action with the creature. I would have loved to have had the creatures description elaborated on. I did like the cliffhanger ending an I wish the author would write a second novel with the creature just to round it all off.
 
Overall, it was an entertaining read that I would recommend to people looking for a quick action packed read with lots of blood and gore. If you're a fan of monster novels I highly suggest checking this one out. I have another of the authors books sitting unread on my kindle and I can't wait to finally get to it. For me Bryan Dunn is an author I think I'll be watching and he definitely has a fan over here at Turning the Pages.
 
Really Liked it!
★ ★ ★ ★
 
To "Like" Bryan on Facebook CLICK HERE
To "Follow" Bryan on Twitter CLICK HERE
To become a "Fan" of Bryan on Goodreads CLICK HERE
To visit Bryan's Website CLICK HERE
To purchase Thaw via Amazon CLICK HERE
To purchase Thaw via Barnes & Noble CLICK HERE
 

6 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds cool and why you read it cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!
    This book looks very interesting. A creature trapped in an iceberg and a fight for survival! I am in for some good time, then.
    I LOVED your review, Kimberly!
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m impressed, I must say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this.

    Website
    Information

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!