Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Waiting On Wednesday #17


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking The Spine and is where we can talk about books we are looking forward to being released!

Here are my picks for the week:


Strands of Bronze and Gold
Summary:
A sweeping Gothic thriller based on the spine-chilling "Bluebeard" fairytale.

17-year-old Sophia Petheram has been sheltered by her doting family all her life, until the day her father dies. It's 1855, and with no money and few options, she goes to live with her guardian, the mysterious Bernard de Cressac, at the astonishingly lavish Wyndriven Abbey in Mississippi.

Sophie has always longed for a comfortable life, and she finds herself both attracted to and shocked by the charm and easy manners of her overgenerous guardian. But as she begins to piece together the mystery of his past, it's as if thread by thread, a silken net is woven around her. And when she begins glimpsing the ghosts of his former wives (all with hair as red as her own) in the forgotten corners and dark hallways of the Abbey, Sophie knows she's in de Cressac's trap.

With enchanting romance, chilling suspense, and dashes of the supernatural, Strands of Bronze and Gold is a compulsively-readable debut.
Summary taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 352 pages
Expected Publication Date: March 12th 2013 by Alfred A. Knopf       


Why I'm Waiting
I love historical fiction and this one looks like a great YA historical fiction novel with some thrilling aspects. Plus I think the cover is awesome and I love the title.

Cascade: A Novel

Summary:
An artist in the 1930s finds herself caught between duty and her unorthodox desires.

Cascade, Massachusetts, 1935. Desdemona Hart Spaulding, a talented young artist who studied in Paris, has sacrificed her dreams of working in New York City to put a roof over her newly bankrupt and ailing father’s head. Two months later he has died and Dez is bound by the promises she has made to her father, her husband, and her town. Stifled by her marriage to kind but conservative Asa, who is impatient to start a family, her ambitions are fading. Dez also stands to lose her father’s legacy, the Cascade Shakespeare Theatre, as Massachusetts decides whether to flood Cascade to create a new reservoir for Boston.

Amid this turmoil arrives Jacob Solomon, a fellow artist and kindred spirit for whom Dez feels an immediate and strong attraction. As their relationship reaches a pivotal moment, a man is found dead and the town points its collective finger at Jacob, a Jewish outsider. When unexpected acclaim and a chance to recapture her lost dreams of life in New York City arise, Dez must make an impossible choice.

CASCADE interweaves a town's impending destruction and America's struggles during the Depression with small-town anti-Semitism and the bohemian art world of Greenwich Village.

Summary taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 368 pages
Expected Publication Date: August 16th 2012 by Viking Adult         


Why I'm Waiting

The cover is friggen' GORGEOUS! I'm telling you it's one of my favourites this year, and I really can't wait to read this one it sounds awesome!

The Age of Desire: A Novel

Summary:

For fans of The Paris Wife, a sparkling glimpse into the life of Edith Wharton and the scandalous love affair that threatened her closest friendship.

They say behind every great man is a woman. Behind Edith Wharton, there was Anna Bahlmann—her governess turned literary secretary, and her mothering, nurturing friend.

When at the age of forty-five, Edith falls passionately in love with a dashing younger journalist, Morton Fullerton, and is at last opened to the world of the sensual, it threatens everything certain in her life but especially her abiding friendship with Anna. As Edith’s marriage crumbles and Anna’s disapproval threatens to shatter their lifelong bond, the women must face the fragility at the heart of all friendships.

Told through the points of view of both women, The Age of Desire takes us on a vivid journey through Wharton’s early Gilded Age world: Paris with its glamorous literary salons and dark secret cafés, the Whartons’ elegant house in Lenox, Massachusetts, and Henry James’s manse in Rye, England.

Edith’s real letters and intimate diary entries are woven throughout the book. The Age of Desire brings to life one of literature’s most beloved writers, whose own story was as complex and nuanced as that of any of the heroines she created.

Summary taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 368 pages
Expected Publication Date: August 2nd 2012 by Pamela Dorman Books


Why I'm Waiting:

The summary is what really caught me, since I don't really know much about Edith Wharton I think I'll really enoy reading this book, even if it is fictional.

Now, what are YOU waiting for this Wednesday?




16 comments:

  1. Strands of Blonze and Gold looks really good. I'm waiting for Chasing Magic to make it's way to my mailbox so I can read it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I featured Strands of Gold as a WoW and cannot wait..i am trying to get an ARC from pub..that's how bad i want to read it..hehehe Great picks! My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk about cover loveliness. These 3 books look amazing. Thanks for sharing :)

    Jennifer @ Dream Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those covers look nice. Not overwhelming, but there's just something about each of them... Anyway, thanks for sharing!
    My WoW this week

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing! I have now added all these to my massive TBR pile! :)

    Claire Reads WoW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strands of Bronze and Gold sounds super intriguing to me! I'm running off to add it to my TBR list!

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like we could be reading sisters. I love your first pick. I am reading less books with YA characters, but it looks fantastic.
    I also featured Cascade this week. Don't you just love the original story line? I definitely have high hopes.
    I featured The Age of Desire a few weeks ago. I adore Edith Wharton and I wouldn't miss a book that would use her as a character.
    My WOW...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Strands looks so good - can't wait to read that one!

    Our WoW is at Book Sake. –Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sensing a historical trend ;-) All of these books sound wonderful and I am adding them to my GR now. Cascade definitely has my favorite cover. How pretty!

    Great picks this week :-)

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, they all have gorgeous covers! I can't wait for Strands of Bronze and Gold (ahhh Bluebeard). Fantastic choices this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have had my eye on your first 2 choices for a while now, can't wait for them. Love the blog! I followed on GFC.

    my WOW

    ReplyDelete
  12. They sound like great picks.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/06/waiting-on-wednesday_27.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both Cascade and The Age of Desire sound really great and I really like both covers.

    Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  14. You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for the issue and found most individuals will go along with with your website.

    Website
    Information
    Click Here

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!