Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Crank (Crank #1) by Ellen Hopkins

Crank (Crank, #1)

Summary:
Kristina Georgia Snow is the perfect daughter: gifted high school junior, quiet, never any trouble. But on a trip to visit her absentee father, Kristina disappears and Bree takes her place. Bree is the exact opposite of Kristina -- she's fearless. Through a boy, Bree meets the monster: crank. And what begins as a wild, ecstatic ride turns into a struggle through hell for her mind, her soul -- her life.
Summary taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 537 pages (Hardcover edition)
Publication Date: October 5th 2004 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

In April one of my favourite Goodreads friends started reading this book and when she finished she was so impressed that she recommend that I read it for a second time, even though she knew I read it already and was not impressed. Her hopes were to convert me into loving this author but alas, her hopes were in vain.

You see when the book was first published back when I was a teenager struggling with my own issues I read this one. Even back then though I knew the book was not for me. Fast forward 8 years to where I'm now in my early 20's and my opinion of the book and the author hasn't changed all that much.

True my views on the world have changed, and I'm no longer a confused and angry teen but even now I could not enjoy the author's writing style and believe me this time around I really wanted to like it since it came so highly reccomended to me but for me this book was not.

Kristina/Bree was an annoying little twit before and after she discovered crank and lost herself to the drug. I know that the book is loosley based on the life of the author's daughter who had substance abuse problems as a teen so I mean no disrespect but honestly I just found Kristina/Bree to be such a whiney little cow. I really did but maybe it's because I disliked the writing style so much.

I don't know about you but I really don't enjoy novels written in the form of poetic verse like this one was written. I don't like how the books like these are written because for my brain (which happens to enjoy books being written in the traditional way) hates how these novels come off fragmented but I can't help it. It took all of my concentration on the night that I read this book to keep reading just to see if the book would get better or at the very least finish it because a friend recommend it so highly to me but this one unfortunately was not one for me to enjoy 8 years ago and not one that I enjoy today.

In my opinion and I know I'm in the minority on this one, this book was poorly written and there were several times in the book while I was reading that I had to pause and re-read something time and again. So I think it's safe to say that this book and this author are not for me.

I do recommend it to people who like YA fiction written like poetry or fans of the author's other books but I doubt that I could recommend it to anyone else. For me this author is going on my "never again" shelf.

Have you read this book or others by this author? What did you think? *No Spoilers*


To "Like" Ellen Hopkins on Facebook CLICK HERE
To "Follow" Ellen Hopkins on Twitter CLICK HERE
To visit Ellen Hopkins' website CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Amazon CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Chapters Indigo CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via The Book Depository CLICK HERE

Not for me!




4 comments:

  1. I like this authors books... I wont say LOVE but I think they're unique. It took me a while to get used to the writing style, but now when I pick up one of her books I can get into it right away. I agree with you about Kristina, she was a little annoying. I think the value in it is that it shows the ugly side of drug use and the craziness that goes through those peoples minds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love novels in verse and I've been meaning to read it for a long time. Sorry you didn't enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter loves novels in verse and loved this but it's not for everyone. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift.

    Click Here
    Flipsnack.com
    Website

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!